Community Engagement in the Permian Region
SM Energy’s commitment goes beyond just being a good neighbor. We work with our stakeholders, both in the cities where we work and the locations where we operate, to create long-lasting partnerships – making our communities a better place to live and work.
Our Permian region includes the cities of Midland and Big Spring, and Howard, Martin and Upton Counties in Texas.
We support kindergarten through 12th grade education programs that focus on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) while encouraging students to pursue higher education, including:
- Big Spring Independent School District – supports various educational programs to help students excel academically and have the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities
- Lee High School Robotics – Teams are responsible for designing, building, and programming their robots in a 10-week build period based on sound engineering principles.
Civic and Community Service
We make an impact in our communities by investing in civic and community organizations that meet critical social needs and enhance social and economic conditions, including:
- West Texas Food Bank – a nonprofit, non-governmental hunger relief organization that distributes food to children, families and seniors
- Big Spring Chamber of Commerce – advances the civic, economic, cultural, and social betterment and interests of its members and the people of Howard County
- Big Spring Family YMCA – Works side-by-side with the community to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive
Health and Human Services
We support organizations and programs that focus on community health and wellness, and place special emphasis on family wellness initiatives and occupational health programs, including:
- March of Dimes – works to improve the health of mothers and babies
- Boys and Girls Club – provides after-school programs for young people
- The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club of Big Spring – provides after-school programs for young people