Community Engagement in the South Texas/Gulf Coast Region
SM Energy’s commitment goes beyond just being a good neighbor. We work with our stakeholders, both in the cities where we work and the locations where we operate, to create long-lasting partnerships – making our communities a better place to live and work.
Our South Texan/Gulf Coast region includes the Houston metro area, and Dimmit and Webb Counties in Texas.
We support kindergarten through 12th grade education programs that focus on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) while encouraging students to pursue higher education, including:
- Junior Achievement – educates students about workforce readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through experiential, hands-on programs
- Carrizo Springs Independent School District – supports various educational programs to help students excel academically and have the opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities
- Southwest Texas Junior College – offers STEM outreach programs, like robotics, to areas in southwest Texas
Civic and Community Service
We make an impact in our communities by investing in civic and community organizations that meet critical social needs and enhance social and economic conditions, including:
- Habitat for Humanity – helps make simple, decent and affordable housing a reality
- Oilfield Helping Hands – assisting Houston-area oilfield families in critical need of financial assistance
Health and Human Services
We support organizations and programs that focus on community health and wellness, and place special emphasis on family wellness initiatives and occupational health programs, including:
- Vida Y Salud-Health Systems, Inc. – provides accessible, affordable, quality comprehensive health services to meet the needs of Zavala County and contiguous rural areas
- Palmer Drug Abuse Program – helps young people with alcohol and other substance abuse problems